Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Quilting One UFO



I have had this UFO basted and ready to quilt for some time now. A few days ago I pulled it out of the closet and decided to get to work on it. I think I basted it for quilting at least a year ago using the Sharon Schamber method.

This quilt top was made many years ago....don't even remember when I made it but it was a LONG, LONG time ago. I do remember where I got the pattern though. It is from this Trudy Hughes book "Template-Free Quiltmaking" published in 1986 and the pattern is called Around the Twist.

I used this quilt top several years after I made it to demonstrate to my guild how to do machine trapunto using a water soluble thread and a heavier batting under the design. The excess heavy batting is trimmed away after the design is stitched with this water soluble thread then the quilt is layered like usual and quilted. The trapunto designs stand out more than the other quilting of course as they have more batting under the designs.

Here is the design I stitched with the water soluble thread years ago and amazingly it was still all there holding the extra batting to the backside of the quilt top. I thought it might have dissolved while it was folded up with the rest of my UFOs since we do get high humidity at times. Did test it to make sure it will dissolve when I finish the quilting and indeed it does so won't have to worry about that possible problem.

I really don't know what I will do with the quilt once I get it finished as it is not quite the colors I decorate with anymore. Maybe it will have to be a donation lap quilt.

Until Later,
Lynn

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...