Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sandhill Cranes

John and I recently traveled along the Platte River in central Nebraska and luckily I had my camera with me to snap photos of some Sandhill Cranes.  We took a side trip along a gravel road to see if we could get closer to them and hoped to find a large group or two.  The day before there were thousands and thousands of them along the Interstate 80 Highway but overnight a large percentage of them left on the next leg of their migration trip.  The spring and fall migration of the Sandhill Cranes is really amazing here in Nebraska and once in a while Whooping Cranes are spotted with them.  Tonight on the news they reported that 6 Whooping Cranes were spotted all in one group….think there are only around 250 in existence so that would be quite exciting to see.  Without further chatting from me here are some photos.
Lynn

1 comment:

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Great photos! I grew up in western Nebraska and remember spotting a Whooping crane on our farm and watching it through a rifle scope. My brother and his wife often make a trip east to see the Sandhill cranes as they migrate. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...