Saturday, May 21, 2011

Inktense Pencils and Water Brush

IMG_2424
I purchased the Inktense pencils by Derwent at Hobby Lobby a while before I went to Paducah and have yet to try them out.  I did run across a vendor selling the water brush and pencils and she demonstrated how she uses the pencils on fabric.  I am more anxious to get them out and try them but just have not had time. 

Check out the whole Derwent website as there are lots of hints and tips plus videos on using these pencils.  This is what the website says about the pencils….
Pen and ink offers strong, intense colour combined with a translucent effect. Now you can enjoy these distinctive qualities in an easy to use pencil. Inktense has a highly blendable texture and comes in a range of 71 jewel-like colours, plus a non-soluble outliner which allows you to draw outlines that are permanent, even when water is applied. Apply pure, vibrant dry colour then wash the pigment out completely to leave an ink-like effect. Once dry, the colour is permanent and can be worked over with other media. The possibilities are endless, the results stunning.
Inktense pencils can be used on fabric to create interesting silk paintings and unique quilting projects.”


The thing with these pencils is this…you color your fabric (or paper) with the pencil then wet it with water and it turns into a vibrant transparent color.  When it dries it is permanent.   Isn’t that cool?    I have seen some pieces online where these pencils have been used..fantastic.  One such blog is May Your Bobbin Always Be Full by LuAnn Kessi.  Take a look at these blog entries where she has used the pencils.

I only purchased a set of the 12 pencils to try and if I like them I can always invest in a larger set later.  They seem a little pricy but it looks like they go a long ways.

Have any of you used these pencils?  How did you like them?  Any tips?

Until later…
Lynn

2 comments:

corina said...

I bought the pencils last year and haven't tried them yet. I'm kinda chicken when it comes to new things. I saw LuAnn's beautiful work with them. Maybe one day....

YankeeQuilter said...

Maggie Hunt uses these pencils often...I think her blog is SCquiltaddict. I haven't been brave enough yet to open the box!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...