Sunday, June 27, 2010

Whats new with Me

I didn't post any new blog entries for quite some time as I had not even had time to get to my machine since mid-May.  I was busy doing yard and garden work and we had several times with overnight guests so with all that I just didn't take time to blog.  The longer it went with out blogging the harder it has been to sit down and write something.

Last week was the Pony Express re-ride through our area.  The mail is carried on horseback the entire way and is re-enacted each year.  This is the 150th anniversary of the original ride from Sacramento, CA  to Saint Joe, Missouri and my husband is the trail captain of a 43 mile stretch.  To find out more about the Pony Express and the re-ride check out this web page.

Anyway, back to the re-ride...John's group of riders were to pick up the mail south of Hastings, NE at 5 am Monday morning and it is an hour drive from here so we were to leave at 4 am with the horses.  I was riding along with the group (in the pickup not on horseback) and was on my way out of the house with an arm load of stuff to load in the pickup and several other riders were here loading their horses into our trailer as they like to buddy up so everyone doesn't have to drive a horse trailer the whole way.

Well, you might have guessed what happened next but will tell you in case you don't know how klutzy I am.  As I was going down the 4 steps of our deck for some reason I only walked down 3 steps instead of the 4 that were on the deck.  I fell with my arms still full of things and managed to injure myself. 

After seeing the first Dr. and having my right ankle x-rayed I found out both of the bones of my leg were broken just above my ankle, one of the ankle bones was broken and a ligament was torn and several more ligaments that were messed up.  I saw an orthopedist the next morning and he put me in a hard splint like thing and ordered me home to keep my leg elevated and iced until this coming Monday the 28th when he will do surgery on it.

The Dr. says he had to have the swelling go down before surgery so that is why the time with the ice and elevation.  I will have at least one screw in it and will have a couple of casts on the next month then a compression boot for 2 -4 weeks after that.  I won't be able to start putting weight on it for almost 2 months.  This will be a long recovery time for sure.

Needless to say I am a little depressed about the whole situation.  I am sure I will get stronger and will be able to do some sewing later when I feel better but think that not being able to drive until probably next fall is what is really getting me down.  OK, enough of the whining....will just take this recovery one day at a time.

Here is a photo my granddaughter took of my yesterday and as you can see I can still use my laptop and will try to keep in touch.



Geta Grama said...

Such terrible news, Lynn ! I am sorry for what happened to you.
I hope the surgery will go well and you will not have pain !
All the best for you !

Elaine Adair said...

Oh my goodness! Poor baby - I am so sorry to hear you are temporarily derailed. And you don't sound like you are whining at all - frankly, you are sounding disgustingly cheerful! I could not have done that! Thank goodness for the portability of the laptop!

And now you are having to 'look forward' to surgery - yuck, but you will be up and around in weeks. Here's wishes for comfort and quick healing. 8-)))

Linda said...

How horrible! And we have so little summer as it is and you'll be hauling around a hot cast. I'm so sorry! Hope everything goes better! Got any handsewing to do?
Lurking Linda

Quiltin' LibraryLady said...

So sorry about the broken leg. But you do look comfy on that couch with your laptop. And, I swear, you have the same couch I do!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...