Friday, March 6, 2015

Spectrum–A Miniature Lone Star Quilt Part 2




IMG_2018Here are the fabrics I decided to use to make my version of Spectrum – class sample below. This is a photo heavy post - be warned.IMG_1815
To keep all the fabrics in the correct order this was the setup I used.  I taped small samples of the fabrics on my rotating cutting board with the larger precut pieces for the foundation piecing laid out in order above.  The tools I used for the foundation piecing are there too.  Left to right – rotary cutter, seam ripper, glue stick, wooden pressing stick, stiletto, add-n-eighth and cardstock.  I pretty much do my foundation piecing the same way Carol Doak explains on this web page except I use a small dab of glue to hold each piece of stitched fabric to the paper.IMG_2019
First the diamonds were foundation pieced.  You can see from the photo below why I had to know for sure the order of the fabrics as each diamond has the fabrics in different positions on the diamonds.  I will admit I had to rip a couple off when I pieced the wrong one.IMG_2021I chain pieced the small crown of thorn blocks that were about 3”.  I do love to foundation piece to get those really sharp points.IMG_2020Used my design wall to figure out where each of the Colored Crown of Thorn blocks would look best.IMG_2022Pieced the centers and outside of the Crown of Thorn blocks and the diamond set in pieces.  As you can see at this point they are all pinned to my design wall.  I had to be in the right mood to piece all those inset pieces so put it off as long as possible.IMG_2037Wearing black cotton sweat pants is probably not the best choice when you are clipping threads and working with fabric that is raveling plus all those tiny bits of paper that I was removing.  I used masking tape to get it all off before I left the sewing room as I was shedding like crazy!IMG_2063Now the octagon is all pieced together but the more I looked at it I felt I needed to make is square.  Square quilts are easier to bind and hang.  IMG_2069The Crown of Thorn blocks were the correct size for the corners.  I tested different fabrics for joining them to the quilt on the bottom right hand corner .IMG_2139
IMG_2222All pieced and ready for quilting.  Next post will cover the quilting and finishing of this miniature.

Until Later,
Lynn

5 comments:

Geta Grama said...

Awesome! A beautiful color palette. A lot of work for this mini!It is worth the effort!

Jeanna said...

That is an amazing piece of art! You are very organized which makes a tedious task easier, I think.

Jen said...

Wow this is beautiful! Love those crown of thorns blocks.

QuiltShopGal said...

Total #CreativeGoodness. Beautiful colors. Gorgeous quilt.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Muis said...

Sjoe, dit is pragtige lap en 'n lieflike patroon! Soooo mooi!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...