Thursday, June 18, 2009

Computer Woes

I am so glad we don't have computer problems all the time as the last 3 weeks have not been fun. As I told you in my last post I had to take the computer to the "fix it guys" and it had to be totally erased and everything re-installed. I did think it was working OK for a while but by the end of the week I could tell it still wasn't right so took it back a week from when I brought it home.

Of course I had almost everything installed and back to how I wanted it. The "fix it guys" determined that they didn't do something right so erased it all again and re-installed it a second time. There went all my hard work!

We got it back Saturday evening and I have started over putting programs, doc. etc. back on. It is going a little faster this time since I remember what I did just last week though. I have yet to find the blocks I saved in EQ6 and the projects for EQ6 don't seem to be in that folder either. Have several back up discs and I need to go through them all again so see if I can find those files.

Wanted to tell you all about the Pony Express Re-Ride that John and our daughter S participated in. Each June the Pony Express riders take the mail from St. Joe, Missouri to Sacramento, California or the opposite direction. They alternate going from east to west each year. John is the trail captain for a 42 mile stretch and the group he has are all very reliable and show up each year.

Each rider will put the mochila on their saddle, ride a mile then exchange it, then the next rider goes a mile. They carry the mail 24 hours a day for the 10 day ride between St. Joe and Sacramento so sometimes or I should say most of the times John's group gets it in the middle of the night. This year however they got it at 3:00 pm so it was nice for them all to ride in the daylight. They had to have it at the end of their 42 mile stretch by 8 pm so had to keep moving.

This photo below I took as we passed this rider from our group. Thought it was cool to see him in motion. Some horses will gallop but others just do a trot or lope.


The next two photos are of John, on his horse Jesse. The first is where he is ready to ride and the second one is of him just starting off on his mile. Jesse has gotten way too fat lately, not sure why but think she got into some of the cow's mineral and it has molasses in it. She is no longer in that pen now as she needs to loose some weight - like humans a horse that is too heavy has more problems with it's legs, stamina, etc.



Most of his riders will ride two legs (1 mile each time) so the horses will get quite a workout. The riders buddy up so several will ride together and have their horses in one trailer. They all are good about knowing when it is that pickup and trailer of riders to take their turns at riding.

Next year is the 150 year anniversary of the original Pony Express so there will be lots of celebrations I am sure. As an added note the official Pony Express uniform while riding is a red shirt, brown vest, jeans and a hat if you can keep it on while riding. The riders get patches for some rides and special events which they put on their vests.

John's dad was the trail captain for over 30 years and when he died a few years ago the family gave memorial money to the Pony Express to have a mochila made in his honor sometime. This was the year. The mochila is a piece of leather that fits over the saddle and has 4 mail pouches stitched onto the 4 corners. This mochila has John's dads name tooled into the leather of the two back pouches and has his birth year and death year on them. It is quite an honor and all the riders were pleased to see it. This mochila will come back here to our area to stay after it makes the trip to California. A tradition for all the riders across the country is to sign the mochila each year so you can see who rode this year. They make a new one each year.

Have a family reunion this weekend then at the middle of next week have our granddaughters ages 9 and almost 8. The oldest is in 4-H this year and she is going to sew a pillow while she is here. We will have them for about a week so this grandma will be tired when they go home I am sure.

I have not had a chance to touch my sewing machine for about 3 weeks and am really getting withdrawal symptoms! Maybe soon I can get back at it.

3 comments:

Geta Grama said...

It seems you had a great time !
Sorry for your computer problems !

tich said...

Nice to have you back - I did check every day. The pony express ride sounds great and your husband certainly looks the part. Hope the re-install does not send you bananas!
Rosemary

Elaine Adair said...

Thanks for the Pony-Express details - interesting - wish I had a horse again, and head 20 less pounds, and 20 less years!!!

Hope your omputer difficulties are in the past - arghhh!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...