Friday, February 18, 2011

My “Other” Sewing Machines

IMG_1200
When I posted the other day about the sewing machines I used through the years I neglected to talk about my two antique machines.   I purchased the larger Singer on an auction because it reminded me of the one I learned to sew on, plus it sold really cheap.  It is the same model as my mother’s but it is a newer version.It is a straight stitch only machine that is gear driven not belt driven.

This larger machine is a 15-91 and was manufactured 1951 in a factory called Elizabethport in Elizabeth, New Jersey.  Isn’t it amazing I can pinpoint the year and the other information about my machines?  This website helped to id the machines and this one helped to find the manufacture date.   On this second web page I am not quite sure about the headings “Quantity Allotted, Date Allotted, and Year Allotted”  and what they mean.

For my machine under Quantity Allotted it has 5000 – does that mean that 5000 were made?  On Date Allotted it has July 26, and Year Allotted it has 1951.  OK, I am wondering if 5000 machines were made on July 26, 1951 or were started then or finished then.  What do you think?  If anyone knows can they enlighten me please?

I purchased this machine in the wooden cabinet and that too looks similar to the one Mom had.  When I got the machine home I cleaned it up and oiled it then I sewed on it. It still has a very nice straight stitch.  I used it a little and then put it back down into the cabinet and have not run it again and have it setting as a table near my front door.  I am thinking I need to get it out and make a project on it.

The Singer Featherweight machine I purchased is a 221 model made April 22, 1954 and 5000 allotted.  Thank goodness I bought it before the Featherweight prices went up, up, up.  I have used this machine many times but not so much in the last couple of years.  This is a lightweight machine that sews a beautiful straight stitch and as you can see from the photo at the beginning of the post it has a smaller harp area than the standard machine and came in a nice case with various attachments.  Being light weight makes it easier to carry to workshops and the case keeps everything together.  This is a belt driven machine and has smaller bobbins than a standard size machine.

I just need to get this one out and sew something on it too.   The problem is I love my 730 Bernina and want to use it all the time…what a dilemma!

I love the decals on both of these machines.  The Featherweight has almost no wear on it so don’t think it was stitched on much and the 15-91 has most of it’s decals too.  I think it is interesting that on the 15-91 machine the wear it does have is around the top of the harp and I wonder if the past owner had a pin cushion around it there.  I have seen photos of these old machines with a pin cushion in the very spot where the decal is wearing off.

Don’t you wonder about who the women were that owned these older machines?  Did they quilt or sew clothing?  Maybe they had the machine but didn’t like sewing so maybe that is why there is no or little wear on the decals.  It is just too bad the machines can’t talk to us and tell us their stories.  What will our newer machines say about us?  Will they be around years later like these machines are or will they be like all the computers we have and be junked out after a few years because the electronics and computer parts are not replaceable? 

Until Later,
Lynn

5 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

I still use my featherweight regularly...love the sound it makes! Plus it is so easy to set-up at bees or workshops...

Stitches said...

I love looking at the old machines and I agree, I wished they could talk. I'm sure they would have some good stories. I, too, love sewing on my Featherweight. I have used mine quite a lot this winter as it was the easiest to bring upstairs and I love the stitch it does and also the sound it makes. Just got done oiling and cleaning it up the other day and it purrs like a kitten. My FW was born in 1938 and shows very little wear. I don't have any idea about what the "alloted" means but could you email one of the Singer sites and ask them? I hope you find out and if you do, be sure and let us know.

Anonymous said...

Hi, with the Singer dates, this is the allotment date - usually assumed to be pre-production. You don't say if yours was made at Elizabethport or Kilbowie. As far as they know, a total of 8,240,944 machines were made at the E plant, and well over 16,603,536 at the K plant. If you look to see when the next allotment date for the model is, it may give you a timefarme to guess the date when the machine may have been made by.

Anonymous said...

Oops - forgot to mention that the previous comment referred to model 15 machines, not 221s...

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I loved the photos and info on your other machines. I understand. I have a wonderful little featherweight...but adore my older model bernina.... so it usually goes with me when on a sewing outing. And the featherweight stays home...thank goodness it is portable. I have been looking for a Singer 99 that I learned to sew on with my mother.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...