Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Scrappity-Do-Dah

These are really easy blocks to make – cut a 6” square, cut it in half diagonally, sew a 1 1/2” x 8 1/2” wide strip between and square up.  I did make a goof when I cut my small strips as I cut them at 8” instead of 8 1/2” though but it wasn’t a problem I just squared my blocks a little smaller than some of the others did.  Follow the photos below to see how I made the blocks.
One thing I don’t understand from the pattern is that the instructions say to trim the blocks down to 5”.  What a lot of fabric to trim off – a big waste I think.  I cut my center strip too short and still could trim mine down to 5 1/2”.  Others that made the correct size center strip trimmed their blocks to 6” and I did a little figuring and if you cut the center strip 9” long you could square up the block at 6 1/4”.  I can’t see wasting as much fabric as the pattern has you trim off.  If you want to a 5”  block the beginning square should be cut smaller than 6”.

I pressed my seams all one direction so hopefully when I put them together I should be able place the blocks about anywhere by just flipping it if the seams don’t work together.  That is the plan but will have to wait until I start putting them together to know if that will work or not.

I have 90 blocks done and don’t really know how many I will make – guess when I run out of blues maybe.  Looking at my box of blue fabric I don’t think I want to make that many, even though I would love to make a bigger dent in all those fabrics.

I am not rushing to get this quilt finished and think it will be a fun project to pick up and sew when I have just a few minutes as the blocks are so simple to make.

Lynn

3 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

You have 90 blocks done! I love this block so I made four and put them together and nothing matched. I can't figure out why. Looking forward to seeing your quilt.

Chris said...

I'd love to see the other 89 blocks! They might make a nice baby boy quilt. FYI - I'm having a give away over at Quilt Talk, so please stop by. :)

Frances Moore said...

I have seen this quilt done and is very effective in any color. Can't wait to see it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...