Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Nebraska State Quilt Guild 2015 Challenge–My Block

Three friends and I decided to participate in the Nebraska State Quilt Guild quilt challenge for 2015.  The rules go like this…..It is a round robin challenge with a team of 4-5 quilters of your choice.  Each quilt will start with a 9” finished center block.  You will build around the center block using borders with the following shapes—pinwheels, circles, diamonds, applique, and some embellishment.  The front of the quilt must have at least one of each shape listed but you may use more of these shapes if you wish.  Each quilt cannot exceed 120 total inches around.  It must be quilted, bound and a label sewn on the back.IMG_2201This is the block I chose to make of batik fabrics.  When I first pieced it I had not planned to add the half circles.  It was so plain looking that I decided to use the Bernina Circle Maker attachment to help make the circles and to do the embroidery stitches I chose from the machine’s menu. IMG_2205As you can see the circle is larger than just a half circle.  You can probably figure out that it had to be larger if I wanted it stitched into the next border and still be a half circle.  There is 1/4” seam allowed on the circle so I stitched out about 3/4 of a circle and trimmed it down to fit.  I first did a straight stitch on the circle fabric then removed it from the machine,  I cut a water dissolving paper like interfacing circle to the inside of that stitching and cut a seam allowance outside of that shape.  Edges were turned under and glued.  I glued it to the finished block with a glue stick.  It was easy to reposition the circle on the Bernina Circle maker as I made sure to preserve the center hole.  Three rows of stitching later and the half circles were all done.  To remove the paper interfacing I will wait and wash the block when I get it done and it will just dissipate into fibers and not be a problem anymore.

I sent it on it’s way to the next person and will be awaiting it’s return to see what my friends did with it.

Until later,
Lynn

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...