Design process finished and transferred to the silk fabric with the cold water removable blue marker but before marking I ironed on a knit, very light wight interfacing to the backside of the silk. I don't know the brand or type as I didn't write it down when I purchased it. The fusing dots are very fine and like I said it is on a very light weight knit base so doesn't add much weight or stiffness to the silk fabric but just enough it quilts up easier than not using any interfacing. The marked top will be layered with wool batting and another piece of the interfaced green silk for the backing.I chose a 50 wt. dark burnt orange silk thread for machine quilting the design areas and a 100 wt. spring green silk thread for the background quilting. I wanted the background quilting to sink in and blend into the fabric and the 100 wt. silk thread worked good and the heavier thread worked for what I want it to do too, of course the differing colors helped as well. I did machine baste the layers together so they wouldn’t shift during the quilting process before I started stitching.
I was working under a deadline as I had entered this quilt in the Nebraska State Fair and didn’t even start the design process until August 1st and I had to deliver it by 14th/15th. I knew I didn’t have a local source for my silk thread so turned to the internet and ordered from EQuilter.com and had the thread in about 3 days!!!! Of course I had to select a few more colors of silk thread from them too….you know that old “need/want” syndrome. Back to work and finishing up the background quilting. I do want you to know I use the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) and the magnifier lens that hooks onto the front of my machine. There is no way I could quilt so small without the magnifier lens. FYI - I outlined my main design with at least 3 close lines of quilting with the pale green silk thread before I quilted the small spirals for the background quilting. Click here to see how this spiral is quilted After I finished the quilting the first thing to do, even before stitching the binding, is to soak the quilt in cool water to remove the blue marker and then wash it in cool water with quilt soap.I lay a towel down and block the wet quilt to square, pinning to keep it that way until it is dry. Bound and finished in time to deliver to the state fair. I photographed it with a ruler so you could really see and understand how small this quilt really is. Yes it is only slightly larger than 8” square.
OK, I have delayed showing you the completed quilt long enough….ta da, here it is!I am just waiting for someone to ask me if this is a pot holder – NOT! You may think that is a silly question but I have been asked that before about my miniatures, from non quilters of course!
Be sure to check out Part 1 - the designing of this miniature here.