Saturday, November 15, 2008


I have a confession to make - I have not been posting since Monday but wrote the last 3 blog entries on Monday and used the "Post Options" to have them posted on the later days. I had some sinus/nose surgery early on Tuesday morning and knew I wouldn't feel up to blogging for a few days at least. I thought I would try changing the post date and time under the post options to see if I could get it to work. This way there wasn't such a long gap between new blogs - didn't want you to think I forgot you. It worked like a charm - will use it again if I know I will be absent for a while.

My surgery went OK and I am in recovery mode now. It has taken more energy out of me than I thought so still not getting much done but resting. This morning however I am going to post photos of another of my doll beds and tell you how I made the quilt for it.

The quilt on this doll bed is called "On The Dot". I made it in 2007 for the Drunkards Path Challenge our guild had that year. The rules of the challenge were: 1. Have at least 8 Drunkards Path blocks in your quilt; 2. Drunkard Path blocks could be made anyway you wanted to make them; 3. Use at least one of the three pre-determined fabrics in the quilt.

I am always looking for a way to make a quilt for another of my doll beds and decided I would use this challenge to make the quilt for this bed. I used two of the challenge fabrics in the quilt. The vine border and the brown corner squares and triangles were all challenge fabrics.

I had always wanted to try to make a Drunkards Path block using poke-a-dot fabric and found this green/gold fabric that would work with the challenge fabrics. The dots are about 1/2" in diameter so the cutting and piecing was a little tricky. I am glad they didn't put a size limitation on the challenge as mine was the smallest and the only one made from poke-a-dot fabric. There are lots of ways to get a Drunkard Path block besides the traditional pieced blocks. Just Google the block and you will find several.

To help with the piecing I did starch my fabric very heavily so the dots would not move or shift when cutting and machine stitching them together. Was a little tricky to get the curves to match at the edges of the design but I was determined! The finished quilt measures 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" and I hand quilted it. It won the hand quilted miniature category at the Nebraska State Fair in 2007 much to my surprise and delight.

Time for another rest I think - my recliner is sure getting a workout this week. TV sure gets boring though so trying to do some reading between naps.

Until later.....

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...