Monday, April 2, 2012

Guild Challenge 2012

I know I said I wasn’t going to show you my guild challenge quilt until after we had our May meeting but think there might only be one gal that checks my blog and she stopped in one day and it was laying right where she could see it.  If there are any other of my guild members reading this you can just not be surprised and look at the blog posts on this subject or just pretend you have not seen my challenge when I unveil it.

Here are the rules for this year’s guild challenge called Panel Magic.  Before I list the rules I will explain what a challenge is for those that don’t know.  Each year our quilt guild has a challenge to make a quilt following a set of rules.  These rules change from year to year and sometimes the challenge requires a certain fabric be used too.  Challenges are optional and you can choose whether you want to do it or not.   When I get a chance to dig out my old newsletters I will share some of the other guild challenges we have had in previous years with you. (I have kept every newsletter since we started the guild over 20 years ago and if I can locate the rules I will share them…I know I am a pack rat!)  The challenge is usually geared to make the members stretch their skills and imagination and maybe for them to try something new.  My friend and I volunteered to be in charge of the challenge so we made up the rules and will oversee the unveiling in May – not too tough a job.

OK, now for the rules.
1.  Choose at least one pre-printed panel for this challenge.  this panel can be a large panel, block sized panels or stripe like panels.
2.  You need to choose one or more other quilt fabrics to use on the front of the challenge piece.
3.  you must do more than just quilt and bind your panel.  Examples:  cutting apart and adding other fabric, embellishments, applique, thread work, piecework, etc.
4.  It can be either hand or machine quilted and must include a label on the back.
5.  Keep your challenge a secret until the May meeting where they will be unveiled.
6.  To receive your challenge gift, the challenge must be complete – quilted, bound, and labeled by the May meeting.
7.  Have Fun!!!

As you see they are pretty open ended and everyone should be able to do what they want.  A lot of quilters don’t know what to do with those pretty pre-printed panels so thought this would be a good challenge.
This is the panel I chose to work with for this challenge.  I purchased it in Paducah last spring at the AQS show and two panels came in the one cut so have a before and after version.  I say after, but even though I started my challenge last fall it is still not finished, but am hoping to get it finished this week or the next as there is not that much left to do.  IMG_4127I didn’t like the basket being so tall so cut the panel and took out some of the length and seamed it together matching the black diamonds printed on the basket and the outside edges where the basket meets the black background.  You can hardly tell the seam is there now.  I pressed the seam open to distribute the bulk and make the seam more invisible.
IMG_4145  IMG_4144
Here is a photo of the two panels side by side after I shortened the basket on the one.  Didn’t think to take a photo of the shortened basket until after I did some other things to it but that discussion will have to wait until another day as I don’t have time to get the photos sized and everything written up today.  I should have tacked them up on my design wall or another wall to get a straight on photo but was lazy and just laid them on the floor.  You can still see the difference, right? 
To me the flowers are more the center piece of the panel after I shortened it and the basket takes center stage when it is so tall.  What do you think?  Did I improve it by shortening it or should I have left it the same?  Too late to do anything about it but would still like your opinions.

We are deep into our early spring weather here and now our apple tree is blooming, again a month earlier than it normally does.  I have been trying to get last years debris cleaned out of my flower beds and get ready to spread the soybean mulch like I did last year.  I wrote about it on the June 11, 2011 post.  This year John bought some bales of soybean stems and leaves from a neighbor and had it ground when he ground hay for the cows.  I have a huge pile to use.  I really like the way the mulch behaved last year and with the strong winds we get here in Nebraska the one thing I wanted was a mulch that didn’t blow around out of the beds and the soybean mulch stayed put.  I do need to add more to the beds this year as it does break down and decay but that is just adding nutrients to the soil.

I finally have both new computers working (I think) the way I like them and all the programs loaded on them.  What a job!  Guess there are a few things I need to tweak or research how to set before I am completely done though.  They both work great but I would much rather keep working on something I already know how to use than take the time to learn something new.  I can do it but it just takes so much time.

Will be posting several blog entries about the making of this challenge quilt so please come back to check it out.

Until Later,

1 comment:

Carol said...

trying again to comment...not letting me for some reason.....YES, I do like the shortened basket MUCH better. Those flowers take center stage! Can't wait to see the finished challenge. Not my cup of tea, but I do enjoy seeing what others have done. Never have heard of soybean mulch but I have never been to Nebraska. If it puts nutrients into the soil, that is wonderful.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...