Tuesday, August 21, 2012

"You Say Tomato, I Say Tomahto"

IMG_9599Is there anything more anticipated each summer than a fresh ripe tomato from the garden?  Tomatoes are on the top of my list, right next to fresh sweet corn.IMG_9505I don’t plant lots of tomato plants each spring but just enough to produce tomatoes for us to eat and if there are extra I cut out the core and pop them in the freezer on a cookie sheet.  After they are frozen I  put them in a large zip lock bags to be ready to be used in soup and sauces this winter.  They don’t have to have the skin removed as it quickly thaws and slips right off after it is cooked for just a bit.  You do want to take the core out though as it takes a while to thaw to the center and it is a mess to remove after it is cooked so get it out before freezing.IMG_9508 I did plant one grape tomato plant and it is producing lots of little tomatoes that are great to eat right out of the garden or as snack between meals or just because.

“it’s difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.”  by Lewis Grizzard ...... My thoughts exactly!

(By the way I say “tuh-mey-toh”.)

Lynn

1 comment:

sherry said...

i am jealous...we had a hail storm like never before...a side from the damage to cars and roofs...i wrecked my garden...smash went the tomatoe plants...enjoy those tomatoes their are the height of all things good about summer

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...