Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wholecloth Silk Miniature Lucky Finish

Ta-Da it is done, bound and a label on the back.  It measures 10 1/2” x 11 1/4” and I love it!  The wool batting puffed some on the feathered areas which is what I had hoped and the design shows up pretty good and the background design adds a subtle texture.

I was praying as I finished stitching the background quilting though.  I thought I might run out of the dark green silk thread so was watching the spool very carefully.  I figured if it ran out I would just take a bit off the bobbin and use on top to get the quilting done.  What I didn’t know was it had very little thread on it too.IMG_9389As I stitched the last few stitches I knew I was going to make it but at that point the bobbin ran out.  Can you believe it!  It ran out when the last stitches were finished.  The photo above shows how much thread was left on the spool so I feel I won the lottery for sure.  This was a 200m spool of YLI #100 thread and I used the entire spool on the background.  Of course I would have had more than enough if I would not have ripped out the stippling on the center section but that is still using a lot of thread on this quilt.

I really did enjoy making this quilt and see more wholecloth designs on silk fabric in my future.  I actually started this quilt in July and finished it in time for the Nebraska State Fair but have been holding off posting about it until I could report on the fair too.  Stay tuned tomorrow and I will share how it and my other entry did at the state  fair.

Until later,


Lizzie P said...

Love the bobbin pic - now, THAT'S cutting it fine!

Judy Dietrich said...

This is a spectacular quilt!! I have not even been piecing on the machine, much less quilting. I need to get back to it. I have done a lot of hand piecing, which I love, but it takes lots of time. Good Luck at the fair!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...