Wednesday, August 3, 2011

QuiltNebraska 2011

Last weekend was the annual quilt convention for the Nebraska State Quilt Guild that is named QuiltNebraska.  There are classes by national and regional teachers, banquets, quilt displays, merchants booths, raffle quilts, etc.  It was a fun filled busy weekend that always passes so quickly.  I room with the same 3 gals and we took our annual photo right before the Saturday night banquet.  Sometime I should go back and look at past years and compare…or maybe not.  Who wants to see yourself age year by year? IMG_3758
I took three machine work classes over the weekend so packed up my Bernina 730 to use.  I needed a zig zag machine so my Singer Featherweight stayed at home this year.  Lugging my machine to the second floor of the motel to our room the first night then down on Friday morning for my first class was a challenge but I solved that problem by putting it in my car between the other classes.

Friday morning I took “Bobbin Drawing, Thread Painting, and Free Motion Machine Embroidery” by Marjan Kluepfel.  Was a fun class learning how to set up your machine for the different techniques and playing with different threads.  Some threads worked real well and others I found out were not good choices.  Am anxious to try bobbin drawing on a quilt top soon.  Marjan is very talented and her work is full of detail and very pretty.
IMG_3705
I had a machine embroidery class on Friday afternoon, “Animate Your Applique” by Mickey Depre.  She uses a product called Pellon Décor Bond as her stabilizer of choice.  The product worked well and want to get more to try.  Mickey was fun and making the sampler of different stitches will be a nice reference.  Her quilts are so whimsical, very lovely and hang so well with the extra stabilizer.
IMG_3726
Saturday I took an all day class with Sarah Smith called “Hawaiian Applique by Machine”.  I really enjoyed the class and have worked on my block at home this week.  I am not that proficient at satin stitching so it is a little wonky but with a little practice I am sure I can do a better job.  The room was really tight with tables and students but we managed to find room for what we needed to do.  Tried another stabilizer in Sarah’s class and liked the way it behaved.  It was C&T's Wash-Away Applique sheets that can be fused too.  Loved looking closely at Sarah’s work as it is just beautiful.
IMG_3740
Each year a new raffle quilt is revealed at the Saturday night banquet.  The quilts are always beautiful and this year is no exception.  The quilt was entered into the Machine Quilters Showcase in Overland Park, Kansas this last May and did well.  It is named “Magic of the Rose” and was pieced and appliqued by a group of women from the Columbus, Nebraska area and machine quilted by Kristin Vierra of Lincoln.  It won the viewers choice award plus and honorable mention award.  My photo was taken from the side so is not the best angle but you get the idea of what it looks like and the detail shots show the wonderful machine quilting.
The theme and national teachers were revealed for 2012 in a video slide presentation.  The chairman is very enthusiastic and has a lot of things in place already.  QuiltNebraska moves around to different locations and 2012 will be held in LaVista, Nebraska then end of July.  The web page here shows the teachers booked so far and some of the other plans that have been made so far.  They will be updating it with new information as it becomes available.  The convention will play on the Harry Potter idea – different than we have had but sounds like fun.  This is not limited to just Nebraska residents so if you are interested in attending next year just check out the website for more information in the coming months.  Registration forms won’t probably be posted until Feb. or March though.

Still thinking back to a great time spent with quilters and quilts – a great summer get away.

Lynn
PS-Follow this link to see a better photo taken of the quilt.

1 comment:

Geta Grama said...

Glad you had fun - such a great event! I already saw the ruffle quilt on another website and I a glad to see the detail. Fantastic work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...