Saturday, September 10, 2011

Drapery Samples BB Bag

IMG_4328
This is the largest size bag from the BB Bag pattern by Mickey Beebe.  I made the bag pretty much following the pattern directions – did add the magnetic snap closure on the flap and the binding on the edge is wider because of the thickness of my fabrics.

IMG_4336
This bag has a zippered pocket in the flap for easy access.  I think I will keep my cell phone in this pocket.  I did test out the ring to see if I could hear it with the zipper closed.  No problem, I could hear it just fine.  The photo below is the bag opened up with the outside showing.  You can’t see it but there is a pocket on the backside made of the same textured fabric as the base.  It is not a zippered pocket  - just a straight pocket.IMG_4341
Inside – here it is laid flat, opened up.
IMG_4337
I love how the outside of the folded pocket looks – I fussy cut the fabric so the mirror image pattern is centered.  That pocket is pleated to expand when needed.  The one zippered pocket is wide enough for my check book and the pieced pocked is inside next to the body of the purse.  It is a little tight as all the layers are stitched together and bound with bias binding so there is no width to this bag.  Am doing some thinking on how I could easily add some width…will let you know if I figure it out. 

With the extra interfacing, thicker fabrics the edge was really thick and I had trouble stitching through it.  I used a 100 size needle but still broke a couple and have some places where the stitches are huge.  Have not fixed them yet but they do sort of blend in so may not fix them until I get more heavy duty needles as I only have one left.  IMG_4344
I have carried the bag once already and love it.  It holds most everything I need and is not heavy to carry.  I love the look of fabric bags and it was fun to see what I could do with these drapery fabrics.

Lynn

1 comment:

YankeeQuilter said...

Your bag came out really nice! There is a local decorating store that sells their fabric samples twice a year...I've used them to make pillows and Christmas stockings but haven't tried a bag... yet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...