Monday, February 1, 2010

Sun Dogs


I had intended to post these photos of the Sun Dogs the day I photographed them but got distracted and now it is 3 1/2 weeks later and I am finally showing them to you. We were having blowing of some new snow the morning of Jan 7th. The sun was out and the snow crystals in the atmosphere caused the partial circle of the Sun Dog.

As the sun climbed higher in the morning the circle was more complete and we could see it until almost noon. The colors were so pretty, just like a rainbow. I would look at it with my thumb over the actual sun so I wouldn't ruin my eyesight to see the colored circle as I've been told to never look directly at the sun because it can damage your eyesight. Is this true or an old wives tail?

There were photos in the newspaper that other people took and most of the time they positioned something over the area where the sun was. One photo had a statue located at a local college surrounded by the pretty Sun Dog. I didn't want to bundle up and find something here on the farm to obscure the sun so I just stepped out on my front porch to snap my photos - sun and all.

Until later,
Lynn

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...