Saturday, November 5, 2011

Harvesting Corn

This first photo shows the combine dumping harvested corn onto the grain cart pulled by the tractor.  They do this on the go so you must drive steady so it doesn’t get dumped on the ground.  The combine makes better time with this method if you have enough workers to have one in the tractor/grain cart and one or two driving the trucks as they are filled plus the combine driver.
IMG_5301
John standing on the deck outside the combine cab for this photo op.  The new combine is working well so he has a smile on his face even though you can’t see it.
IMG_5319
This photo shows the driver of the tractor/grain cart dumping the harvested corn onto one of the semi-trucks which will haul it to the grain elevator or our bins.  IMG_5330
This was my job a few years ago.  I couldn’t help last year because of my broken ankle and I really don’t like running that large equipment and asked John if he could get along without me that would be just fine and dandy as far as I was concerned.  I didn’t have to be in the tractor at all this year but concentrated my efforts on making good hot meals to take to the field.  Our crew doesn’t like to stop and eat anything with a fork or spoon so I had to be real creative to make hot, hand held meals.  Think I did a good job as John commented several times on how good something tasted.  The crew all bring sack lunches at noon so I would just bring something hot at night for the evening meal (actually think they bring small coolers but you get the idea.)  They put in long days working until 10 pm at night lots of nights during harvest so everyone is relieved when it is over.

Lynn

3 comments:

Karen said...

Glad the new combine is working out so well. I love seeing harvest time, thanks for sharing.

Paula, the quilter said...

We've been watching a program on (is it?) Discovery Channel called "Harvest". Being the city girl that I am, I found it interesting, but had to ask the farm boy I married questions occasionally.

Janet said...

I'd love to hear your ideas for hot hand held meals. We are done combining for the year, but I would love to know what you made them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...