Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Teflon Pressing Sheet

I just learned of another place where Teflon Pressing Sheets can be found and IMG_5774purchased….would you believe it if I said the cooking department of Walmart?  Yes, that is where I found this black one, only it is labeled to use on the bottom of your oven to catch spills while baking.  I bought one, priced about $10 for the 16 1/2” x 23” sheet and it works the same as my other pressing sheets.  A girl just can’t have too many pressing sheets can she?  (Especially when said girl accidentally cuts one with the rotary cutter – oops!) IMG_5775

If you don’t live near a quilt shop and need to get one to use right away this is where to look.  I found this one next to the drip pans in the cooking isles.  It is black and the ones I have purchased especially for quilting are either white or tan.  I have experimented with it and it works just the same as the regular quilting ones do but is a little heavier weight than the quilting pressing sheets.  Don’t know if that is an advantage or disadvantage or just doesn’t matter.  I do like the light colored ones better though for their translucent properties as it helps to see the pattern through the sheet for lining up the applique shapes.  You would have to come up with a different method for layering fused shapes if you get this black one.IMG_5781For those of you that don’t know what a Teflon pressing sheet is used for click on the links at the bottom of this post that explain how and where you might use it.  I use mine every time I do fusible applique and use a second Teflon sheet on top to guarantee I don't get any of the glue on my iron.  You can arrange your pieces on it and fuse them together, let it cool then peel them off to arrange on the background fabric.  Works slick as a whistle!

Jan 22, 2009 – My blog post titled Mini Fused Applique  - I tell how I use the Teflon sheet.
Valerie Hearder – Using Teflon Sheet for Fusible Applique
The Clever Quilter – How to use the Teflon sheet
Flo Klein’s Stitch ‘Em Up – How to use the Teflon sheet

Until Later,
Lynn

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...