Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cajun Beauty - Doll Bed Quilt

I received this cute doll bed from my daughter S one Christmas. She and her husband had purchased it in New Orleans so that is why I named the quilt I made for it "Cajun Beauty".
This photo shows the quilt and the pillow I made to go on this doll bed. As you see it needed to be an oval shape because there was no way to make it drape over the bed.

The tiny oval Mariners Compass block was paper pieced and the swag border pieces were machine appliqued with the invisible applique method. I wasn't happy with how the points looked on the swags after getting them appliqued so decorated the intersection of the points with French Knot flowers and embroidered leaves. Thought that drew the eye away from the points.

I put a few more embroidered French Knot flowers in the center of the compass block and on the pillow to tie it all together. I hand quilted it - something this small doesn't take too long to hand quilt but I did quilt a small feathered swag above and below the compass and that took a little time and finesse.

Until later....
Lynn

2 comments:

Deb said...

this is the most delicate mini quilt that I ever saw.. i just love it and the bed it is in is just perfect.
I am going to refer others to see this from our mini blog what great incentive.. thanks.

Geta Grama said...

ADORABLE !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...